CapacityPlus Plays Key Role in Major Forum on the Global Health Workforce
From January 25-29, CapacityPlus will join representatives from the global health workforce community at the Second Global Forum on Human Resources for Health/Prince Mahidol Award Conference in Bangkok, Thailand. CapacityPlus has been involved in the forum’s planning and is sending a delegation to this important international event.
Convened by the Global Health Workforce Alliance, the Prince Mahidol Award Conference, the World Health Organization, and the Japan International Cooperation Agency, the forum will review progress and renew commitments to health workers in support of the Millennium Development Goals and universal access to health care.
Highlights of CapacityPlus’s involvement include sessions on financing health worker education and training and building capacity to translate evidence into action, side meetings on human resources for health (HRH) in Africa and linkages with the faith-based community, and workshops on rural retention and positive practice environments.
CapacityPlus participation at a glance
- HRH in Africa day, Monday, January 24, 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. CapacityPlus is cosponsoring this side meeting with the World Bank, African Development Bank, HRH in Africa Platform, and the WHO. Maurice Middleberg will moderate a panel on “Enabling country HRH strategies to succeed: Lessons learned.”
- Choosing the most appropriate interventions for rural retention of health workers: A methods workshop, Tuesday, January 25, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. CapacityPlus is cosponsoring this workshop with the WHO. Middleberg will give opening and closing remarks. Peter Rockers will present “Uganda: Rapid tool for eliciting preferences of health workers” as part of the panel on “Country experiences in addressing retention.”
- Strengthening linkages between the faith-based health care providing community and ministries of health for quality health care for all, Tuesday, January 25, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CapacityPlus is sponsoring this side meeting. Wilma Gormley is the organizer, and James McCaffery is a presenter.
- Positive practice environments, Tuesday, January 25, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. The International Council of Nurses, World Health Profession Alliance, and International Hospital Federation are cosponsoring this workshop. Middleberg will give a presentation on “HRH and gender” at 2:00 p.m.
- eHealth capacity-building, Tuesday, January 25, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. CapacityPlus lead partner IntraHealth International is sponsoring this side meeting. Dykki Settle is the organizer.
- Why HRH planning and how to prevent failure in planning and implementation, Tuesday, January 25, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CapacityPlus associate partner Asia-Pacific Action Alliance on Human Resources for Health is sponsoring this side meeting.
- Building capacity to translate HRH evidence into action to sustain HRH policy, decisions, and system strengthening, Friday, January 28, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. McCaffery is leading this parallel session.
- Financing health worker education and training, Friday, January 28, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Middleberg is leading this parallel session.
Throughout the forum, CapacityPlus and IntraHealth will have a display table in the Marketplace area. To learn more, visit the forum’s website and read advance coverage in The Guardian, or contact us.
Related blog posts
- What Brought Us Here Won't Get Us There: Implementing Country-Level Health Workforce Development Plans
Photo by Trevor Snapp. (Health worker in Guatemala)