Policy and Planning
Effective human resources policy, planning, and management are crucial for guiding and sustaining country-led action and progress on human resources for health (HRH), by ensuring that realistic and evidence-based HRH strategies are developed, resourced and implemented—and that they are anchored by a policy framework that integrates HRH within the national development agenda, health strategy and related policy, legislation, and regulation. HRH interventions and systems require careful design and integration across a broad range of key areas, encompassing strategic and workforce planning, financing, production, recruitment, deployment, service utilization, retention, productivity and performance, and personnel administration.
Additionally, there is a need for skilled leadership, partnerships, and key staff to oversee, develop, coordinate, implement, and sustain these functions. CapacityPlus works with partners to strengthen human resources policy, planning, and management capabilities and promote the use of health workforce information. The project advocates and applies a range of approaches, tools, and systems that can support and strengthen health workforce policy, planning, and management. Primary objectives are to integrate context-relevant best practices in health workforce policy and planning, improve national capacity for effective human resources management, and develop and apply comprehensive supporting workforce surveillance and HRH monitoring and evaluation systems that can move forward and sustain progress on HRH.
Types of Technical Assistance
- Assessing existing HRH policy, management, and systems capacity and needs
- Facilitating health workforce policy and strategy development processes
- Assessing and developing HRH financing plans
- Costing HRH strategic plans
- Promoting and sustaining multisector and interagency collaboration, partnership, advocacy, and stakeholder participation on HRH—including faith-based organizations
- Strengthening systems and in-country capacity for planning, managing, developing, sustaining, and supporting the health workforce
- Fostering skills-building through the design and delivery of HRH professional development programs
- Improving capacity for data-driven planning, policy, and decision-making, including human resources information systems (HRIS)
- Assessing and developing HRH legal frameworks and specific laws
- Assessing and advising health system HRH units
- Assessing and developing regulation frameworks for health professions, health professional associations, and health professional schools
Tools and Resources
- HR Management Assessment Approach
- HR Management Systems Strengthening Framework
- HRH Professional Development Program
Current Partners in this Area
Global Health Workforce Alliance, World Health Organization, African Christian Health Associations Platform, West African Health Organization.
Learn more in English, French, or Portuguese.